Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Bittersweet Times

I thought I better start my blog before I leave because I know I'm going to have lots of questions from my relatives on how to access it and it's much easier for me to help with that before I leave. I know many of you are confused about what a blog (or "G-H-U-G" as some people call it) even is so hopefully this will help.

I know lots of you are wondering where I'm going to be and what exactly I'll be doing for the next two years. At this point, most of the information I have is pretty basic because those decisions won't be made until I'm down there. I leave on June 23 for training in Lima, Peru. My training lasts until September 1, at which point (if all goes well) I'll be sworn in as an official Peace Corps Volunteer and go to my site when I'll be serving for the next two years. My site could be anywhere from a few hours to a few days away from Lima. They decide on my site placement after various interviews with Peace Corps staff during training. From what I've heard, they take into consideration, my experiences and desires verses the needs of each site to try to determine the best match for everyone. Because I don't know yet where I'll be, I also don't know what exactly I'll be doing because the projects are different in each site. Our program has been labeled "Youth Development" by the Peace Corps. From what I've read, that means I'll be working with low income kids, anywhere from elementary to high school age, helping them to find alternatives to life in the streets. Unfortunately, more than half the population in Peru lives on less than $2 a day so many of these kids either don't go to school, or go to school and then stay in the streets until very late at night trying to sell things to make a little extra money for their families. We want to help these students set personal goals for themselves and learn job skills so they can acquire more meaningful jobs. Since I love kids, this seems to be right up my alley. At the same time, it also feels a little intimidating and overwhelming because there is not much guidance along the way.

Considering I first started working on my application for the Peace Corps around this time last year, it's hard to believe I'll actually be in Peru in less than 3 months. Of course I'm really excited, but at the same time, it's hard to think about being gone for such a long time. I hope to be able to come home at Christmas at least one, if not both, years, but going home is at our own expense and air fare to Peru isn't exactly cheap (especially in comparison to the small stipend I'll receive). I know saying goodbye to Giff is going to be extremely difficult so I try not to think about that too much and just enjoy our last few weeks together.

I think a little anxiety is expected though since everything I know in my life is about to turn upside down. As crazy as that seems, it excites me in many ways and I know that I'll walk away from this experience as a better person with a greater outlook on life.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey there,
there's something about you going to peru that makes it seem like it'll be a really long time before i'll see you again. however, as it is now i rarely see you and we're still friends! i wish you luck and i know the people you meet will be lucky to have you in their lives. keep in touch (in spanish or english!).
love, april

6:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kristen! Its always a long time between correspondence for us, but I just wanted to wish you the best. You have always been an amazing person doing great things. Your stint to Peru is no exception. I look up to you and am proud to call someone so steadfast a friend. Take good care of yourself, be safe, and I look forward to this simple way to occasionally know what you're up to. Be well, Danielle

7:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristen - I am just getting a chance to read your blog. I look forward to seeing you in North Adams. From reading your mom's posting it looks like you are heading out to CA after NA. As I have said before, I am so proud of you. You are a totally awesome person maturing into an amazing young woman. I hope this experience is all you expect and more. I honor your courage to step outside of the comfort zone. May you go knowing that you are loved and supported by so many people. I look forward to following your journey...love Diane

9:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hola hija , te habla tu padre fernando, padre de fernando y naomi; me alegro mucho de leer la referencias muy buenas de mi familia en la página web tuyo.ya que tu kristen has llegado a formar parte de mi familia y por lo tanto te concidero como una hija en navidad estare llegando a casa y si fuera posible vernos por que solo voy a estar asta el 11 de anero 2007 de ahi vuelvo a españa;
adios hija espero que ayas disfrutado de las comidas de casa como la sopa de leche, las tortillas de la abuelita, y otras comidas mas . !LA PACHAMANCA te gusto mucho!
ESPERO CONOCERTE
FERNANDO VILCHEZ ALARCON
ESPAÑA 11 DE SEP. 21:30 pm

12:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home