Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Finally some pictures!

Look at the pictures in reverse order and they will make more sense to you (the first picture I downloaded is the last one shown).



My abuelita, host mom, and Naomi enjoying their Panchamanca. They're so cute!











Me and Hana getting ready to dig into our first Pachamanca. The best part is that you eat it with your hands! For some reason food tastes so much better when you eat it with your hands.










The pit for Pachamanca and all of the food that was cooked in it - beef, chicken, pork, yucca, bananas, fava beans, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and cheese (not in the picture).











This is me helping to take out the food from the Pachamanca that we cooked. It's traditionally cooked in a pit in the ground, but my host uncle replicated it with a pit of bricks and lots of coal covered with banana leaves and wrapped in plastic and tons of blankets to keep it really hot.








My host siblings - Fernando and Naomi.













My host mom holding a cuy - don't get too attached, it'll be eaten any day now....



















All 13 of us who will be going to the department of Cajamarca (youth and business volunteers).











Lindsay, Hana and me the day we got our site assignments (yes I know we look dorky with our Peace Corps folders).











Our training center, where it feels like I've been spending every second of my life for the past 9 weeks. I know it looks like a prison, but it's actually a lot nicer on the insde (it's really open with a courtyard and grass).







The view from my house.















The multi-purpose room in my house where I do my exercises in the morning and where we have Spanish class sometimes.












My cozy room. What luxury I live in here...I'm not ready to leave!















Standing on my front steps, looking down my street (yes it's a dirt road and people water the dirt every morning so it doesn't blow around so much during the day...I'm not quite convinced it works, but they must be since they do it everyday).









My house in Santa Eulalia.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristen - It has been a LONG time since I have written a comment, but this posting is what I have been waiting for!!!! PICTURES!!! I LOVE seeing where you are and some of the people with whom you are working and who you mention in your blog. THANK YOU for the photos. You show a "multi-purpose" room where you do your exercises in the morning and sometimes have spanish class. Is that in your house????

You said that you had been warned that your places in Santa Eulalia would be luxurious compared to your living quarters in your sites. I guess that came CRASHING DOWN on most, if not all, of you a week ago when you were all visiting your permanent sites for the 2-3 days that you were there!!!

All of you will have stories to tell at the other end of your Peace Corps experience. I especially loved the question the little girl asked you "is your whole body really gringa like that?"

I also find it amusing that another little girl called you "Chinita". I am sure you will remember when you were little you got a lot of references to the fact that your eyes had an asian feel about them.... Interesting that that translated all these years later all the way down in Peru by a little girl!!!

I better stop - but THANX AGAIN FOR THE PHOTOS - KEEP THEM COMING!
mom

11:52 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home