Saturday, June 24, 2006

I Made It!!!!

Woooo hoooo!!!! I'm finally here!!! We arrived around 11 o'clock last night, but it feels like we've been here longer. We've been going and going and going that all of the days are just running together at this point. It's been very exhausting, but awesome at the same time.

There is so much I want to say, but I only have 20 minutes because the man who owns the little internet cafe at our retreat center is staying open just so my friend and I can use the computer. This keyboard is also really confusing so I can't type very fast because every time I look up at the screen there are more random symbols than letters. Anyway, I'll try to sum up as much as I can.

Arriving in DC early was great because it allowed me to have a long dinner and visit with Allie and Stephanie. The next morning I hung out with Paula and the kids which was so much fun. The kids were adorable and Paula practically had to pull them off of me when they left! So cute! Then orientation started and it was the beginning of this whirlwind of meeting people and sharing our excitement, concerns, and anxieties. It felt so good to finally be starting my new life as a Peace Corps volunteer after all of the waiting. There are 37 people in my group and everyone is really nice. It's so great to meet so many people from all different backgrounds with a common interest. Before I came here and I would tell people I was joining the Peace Corps, so many people told me that some of the most interesting people they know have done the Peace Corps. From what I know so far of my group, that holds true. I can't even really describe the feelings I'm having right now other than it's been a huge relief to meet everyone and talk to people who know exactly what you've been going through the last few months (the emotional roller coaster we've all been on). I feel like we're all really becoming so close already and it's only just begun. I can't even imagine how I'll feel in a few months! The night before we left, Hana and I were able to say goodbye to a lot of friends who came out to a bar to wish us well. It was really fun and really meant a lot to both of us.

Ahhh there is so much more I want to say and my time is almost up. We met tons of the PC Peru staff today. They were really funny and open and made us feel really welcome and helped to calm some nerves. We also had language placement interviews, which were hillarious. Wow is my spanish RUSTY. I figure it's a no lose situation though because it only means I'll be placed in a lower level (if I really did that bad) and I could use the practice anyway. I was also able to have some great conversations with fellow volunteers today and really spend time getting to know people better.

I meet my host family tomorrow so I hope I get to post another entry soon because I have so much more to share with you guys!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations! it already sounds like a great experience.

9:16 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gwen sezs...
Never having entered a blog comment before, I neglected to include my name in my message last night, so "anonymous" is me, Kristen! Love...and more love!

9:08 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home